HEALTH and Child Care minister, Dr Obadiah Moyo says despite the country recording several thousands of Cholera cases, government through support from the corporates world, NGOs and individuals has managed to avoid sporadic deaths as a result of Cholera.
To date not more than 30 Cholera deaths have been recorded against a cholera infection rate of 5 045 cases.
“Cases have increased, but no death, we now have 5 045 cases. The situation is getting under control because of the intervention made.
“We have loads and loads of water from corporates supporting us and individuals. The likes of Unicef have provided bowsers of water, which can supply 20 000 litres of water continuously.”
He added: “The [Harare] mayor [Herbert Gomba] was there with us today, council is working on the sewage system, waste management was also acting and boreholes were decommissioned because they were contaminated.
“There was no food vending today. Some partners have brought some drugs, especially the critical drug that is important for the resistant strain.
We have supplies of gloves, gumboots and socially, we managed to get aqua cups and water glasses and City of Harare have been doing road shows educating the people,” said the health minister.
Harare has been battling the cholera outbreak, which has now been declared a state of emergency, for the past two weeks.
“We want to get on top of the situation. We have taken a prompt response and we will remain vigilant,” Moyo said.
Meanwhile, Beitbridge district medical head Lenos Samhere has dismissed as mischievous claims by a group of people that a single case of cholera had been detected in the border town.
Samhere said all cholera tests on patients and water sources were negative and such reports caused unnecessary panic and were irresponsible.
“We would not hide anything if there is a cholera attack. That is a disaster we inform people about, but there is no such thing as cholera in Beitbridge at the moment,” he said.
“People got scared when a woman from Harare got a bout of diarrhoea and was rushed from the border to hospital, but tests were promptly done and she was negative of cholera or typhoid,” said Samhere, who heads Beitbridge District Hospital and its satellite health centres and clinics.
The woman, believed to be a cross-border shopper, was discharged and is known to have proceeded on her journey.
Members of a social media group late on Friday spread the unconfirmed cholera “case”, which within a few minutes had sent shock waves across the densely populated shipping town.
Beitbridge acting town clerk Loud Ramagkapola described posting of such messages as immature and irresponsible.
“That is irresponsible and people should take things seriously. Citizens should know they are responsible for each other, cholera can attack anyone,” he said.
The post Cholera cases spike appeared first on The Standard