A petition to get Health and Child Care Minister, Dr Obadiah Moyo relived from his duties as a cabinet minister has already attracted more than 10 000 signatures from Zimbabweans residing in the country and those in the diaspora.
READ THE PETITION BELOW
We, the Concerned Citizens of Zimbabwe, hereby petition you, your Excellency, to relieve and dismiss, with immediate effect, the Honourable Obadiah Moyo, from his portfolio as the Minister of Health and Child Care whose tenure at the Ministry has been an unmitigated disaster.
We bring this petition as citizens of Zimbabwe both within and outside Zimbabwe who have been negatively impacted by the decline in the health delivery system since Honourable Obadiah Moyo took over this important portfolio.
Noting that we have a right to a functional health delivery system and noting further that we have a right to hold our leaders accountable and have a moral obligation to call upon you as the Appointing Authority to revisit your appointments where such appointments are not in the best interests of the people of Zimbabwe;
Having been closely monitoring how Honourable Obadiah Moyo has failed to handle genuine grievances of health professionals across the board, we are concerned at the continued deterioration of the public health delivery system under the stewardship of Honourable Obadiah Moyo;
And having closely observed and followed developments in the country following the spread of the Covid-19 virus and the Honourable Obadiah Moyo’s failure to professionally and satisfactorily discharge his duties in the management and control of the spread of the virus;
And recalling that on the 3rd February, 2020, the Honourable Obadiah Moyo assured the nation, through the Parliamentary Portfolio Committee on Health that Zimbabwe was fully prepared for the Covid-19 pandemic;
And having noted the dismal failure to adequately prepare for the virus, thus leading to erratic and uncoordinated interventions that have led to avoidable death and infections;
And having noted the dismal failure to adhere to laid down procurement procedures which have led to the exposure of health professionals across the board and to exposure to the virus by ordinary Zimbabweans;
From our assessment as citizens Honourable Obadiah Moyo has dismally failed to discharge the duties expected of a Health Minister in that:
- He has failed to find a lasting solution to the crisis in the health delivery system which has resulted in Zimbabweans being unable to access basis health in all public institutions;
- He has failed to ensure that all public health institutions have adequate stock of drugs and other necessary medical materials and drugs;
- With the onset of the Covid-19 pandemic, he has failed to ensure the availability of properly equipped quarantine centres with health professionals who are fully protected as recommended by the World Health Organization;
- He has failed to ensure the setting up of affordable, accessible and properly staffed testing centres;
- Where makeshift centres have been set up both for quarantine and testing, he has failed to ensure that WHO recommended behaviour such as social distancing, the availability of all necessary sanitazation material are adhered to and are readily available.
- He has failed to ensure the proper management and distribution and coordination of all materials donated towards the containment of the spread of the virus.
- He has failed to make adequate and acceptable arrangements for returnees who have been subjected to unsanitary quarantine conditions.
- He has failed to ensure the speedy testing of persons held at quarantine centres and once tested he has failed to ensure the speedy notification of results and thereafter the speedy isolation of positive persons.
- He has failed to ensure the constant and adequate availability of PPE’s for all health professionals on the frontline of the pandemic and to ensure that returnees are equally protected from contracting the virus at such centres.
- He has generally failed to ensure that those working on the frontline of the Covid-19 pandemic and those held at quarantine and testing facilities are not subjected to inhuman and degrading conditions.
- He has abjectly failed to ensure the proper management of all Covid-19 related resources and instead he has presided over a corrupt, inefficient and grossly mismanaged ministry lacking in any form of transparency.
Greatly concerned that this state of affairs will continue uncorrected under the stewardship of Honourable Obadiah Moyo;
Fearing further and unnecessary loss of lives;
And reminding you of your often stated promise that you are a listening President;
We now call on you to listen to the citizens of Zimbabwe who call on your office to immediately:
- a) Relieve Honourable Obadiah Moyo of his post as Minister of Health and Child Care with immediate effect.
- b) That you ensure he does not hold any public portfolio during your Presidency.
- c) That you immediately appoint a professional and qualified technocrat to head the Ministry of Health and Child Welfare.